The past few months I’ve had the opportunity to participate in a local prison ministry. Here’s some stuff that happens at the prison service that is cool:
- There’s lots of preaching about grace. Prisoners know that they need God’s grace. It’s their only hope. It’s our only hope too.
- The power of Jesus Christ is boldly declared. Jesus redeems, he saves, he delivers from bondage to sin. Prisoners believe it.
- The audience really wants to be at the service. They are excited to praise God, and they look forward fellowship with others. For many of them, it is the highlight of their week.
- The audience is diverse. Both theologically and racially.
- Baptisms happen pretty regularly.
- I also find it easy to be bold in that environment. It’s hard to share my testimony with a co-worker. But it’s easier to share with a prisoner. I don’t quite understand why that’s the case, but it is.